Registration and review
Basic submission guidelines
St. Mary's Research Review Office reviews all research projects based at St. Mary's Hospital Center, however the mandate has expanded to review certain projects conducted in other Hospitals within the Montreal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (MWI IUHSSC). Which projects are processed by our office is at the discretion of the Direction des affaires universitaires, de l’enseignement et de la recherche (DAUER). If you are are unsure of whether you should go through the St. Mary's Research Review Office, you can email the DAUER research support team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are three types of submissions:
- Single site projects submitted for evaluation by the St. Mary's Research Ethics Committee (REC). This includes studies that are conducted uniquely at one or more installations within the CIUSSS ODIM, which is considered a single site.
- Multicenter projects submitted for evaluation by the St. Mary's Research Ethics Committee (REC). For these types of project, St. Mary's REC acts as the Evaluating REC as per the Cadre de référence des établissements publics du réseau de la santé et des services sociaux pour l'autorisation d’une recherche menée dans plus d’un établissement
- Multicenter projects that were already approved or undergoing evaluation by another recognized Evaluating REC with the Health and Social Services Network. In this case, the St. Mary's REC does not review the project, however the convenance/feasibility review is undertaken by the Direction des affaires universitaires, de l’enseignement et de la recherche (DAUER). The study is "hosted" by the St. Mary's REC.
Be sure to attach all relevant documentation, including but not limited to:
- the complete protocol
- consent forms (French and English)
- Form D: consent form checklist (not necessary for projects approved by another REC)
- questionnaires (Note: questionnaires administered via SurveyMonkey will no longer be accepted. Please use a tool with a Canadian based server such as LimeSurvey).
- advertisements (pamplets, posters)
- budget and budget justification (budgets for funds to be administred by the St. Mary's should use the Form I: budget template)
- CVs of investigators
- proof of scientific approval
- support letters
- contract or clinical trial agreement
- List of personnel who will work on this protocol at St. Mary's or other MWI IUHSSC installation. The list should include the name and CV of the incumbent, the job title and description and professional license if applicable.
If your study is a multicenter study already approved or under evauation by another Research Ethics Committee (REC) as per the Cadre de référence please include in your submission:
- CVs of the local St. Mary's or CIUSSS de l'Ouest-de-l'Île-de-Montréal investigators.
- the approval letter from the Evaluating REC and/or;
- the letter of declaration from the Evaluating REC.
For St. Mary's family medicine residents only: Download the "cheatsheet."
Research Review Office
3830 Avenue Lacombe, Hayes Pavilion, suite 4710
Montreal (Quebec) H3T 1M5
Telephone: (514) 345-3511 ext. 3698
Fax: (514) 734-2652